Friday, January 5, 2018

To Zambia!

I am in Zambia! At a school called Chengelo. It is a Christian boarding school and it is AMAZING! I am so happy to be here with all of the wonderful people I've met. Everyone is so kind and welcoming, I've made so many friends already! God has been showing me so many reasons why he brought me here its crazy. Some of them being that I will be involved in their primary school, which is exactly what I love doing! One of the most surprising reasons is sort of a funny story. For some reason in the past few weeks I started studying Chinese again pretty regularly. I have not studied Chinese in almost five years, but something (definitely God) made me start studying it again while I was in the U.K. My friends commented on how it was kind of funny that I was practicing Chinese again even though I was leaving for Africa in a few weeks. Funny enough I found out the second night I was here that there are about a dozen students here that are Chinese and that it could be useful to be able to talk a little bit with them since someone speaking your language makes you feel welcome and at home. Who would have though that I would use Chinese in Zambia! God has been really great and faithful and I am beyond grateful that He brought me here, even though the process was weird and confusing.
I am so excited for the children to come, but that will not be happening for a little while now. The school, now, can not open for the rest of this month because there has been an outbreak of Cholera in Lusaka. The government has taken precautions by not allowing schools to open until it is safe to- this would be when there has not been another case for two weeks. Don't worry too much about me, I am very safe in Chengelo since the school has a fence all the way around and security as well as clean drinking water and the tap water has chlorine in it. Obviously there is a possibility, but very unlikely that I would catch it. I promise I feel safe here where I am and it is best to stay put rather than travel at the moment. So, since I am very safe, the reason I am letting everyone know is not for me but for the country and all who have been sick. There have been deaths from the illness and it definitely can hit poorer communities very hard since they may not have access to treatment or good sanitation. Please pray for the country and the whole situation, it has taken everyone by surprise since we only heard about it in the past three days. Pray that people would take precautions to prevent it from spreading at that those who catch it could receive treatment. Prayer is so powerful, please pray!


Can you Spot the Giraffes? (Hint: There's 3)

Thank you everyone for your support and prayers! I trust that God will keep me safe and that He has me here for a reason.
"And the prayer of faith will save the one who is sick and the Lord will raise him up—and if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven." James 5:15

No comments:

Post a Comment